This is a superbly delicious drink which is made from only three ingredients and takes just a few minutes to prepare. It is cool, creamy, and sweet yet has a hint of heat from the stem ginger adding a subtle kick. As a non alcohol drinker, this is a great alternative.
I have seen a few pineapple and coconut ‘juice drinks’ sold in shops which consist of pineapple juice from concentrate, sugar, sweeteners, water, coconut ‘flavouring’, and sometimes even added colouring. Pineapple and coconut is, in my opinion, a match made in heaven so in creating this recipe, you can enjoy the taste of the two flavours combined, but in an entirely natural and wholesome way free from anything artificial.
This is the sixth smoothie recipe in my January smoothie series aiming to help you kick off the new year in a healthy way. Links to the previous recipes can be found at the bottom of this page. Back to this post now.
Pina Colada Style Smoothie
Here is the recipe:
- 1 cup chopped pineapple (either sweet fresh pineapple or drained unsweetened tinned pineapple)
- 1 cup chilled coconut milk (I tend to use a coconut milk that is made like other nut-milks, such as almond, i.e. it has water added and is not the sometimes high fat tinned versions)
- Approx. 1 1/2cm slice fresh stem ginger
NOTE: The amount of ginger varies depending on the size of the root, and of your liking of ginger – add more or less as desired)
Add everything to a blender and blitz until thoroughly blended and smooth.
Garnish with a sprinkling of desiccated coconut and/or a wedge of pineapple.
Sit back and enjoy!
- For an extra cool drink add 1/2 cup ice cubes before blending
- If you would like an alcoholic version then add some rum
Here are the links, as promised earlier, for my previous smoothie recipes:
- Creamy Green Energy Machine
- Tropical Dream
- Breakfast Smoothie with a Kick
- Good Morning Smoothie
- Detox Green Smoothie
Would you like more recipes like this? Then be sure to SUBSCRIBE to the blog (link over to the right) You can subscribe via email or via a WordPress account.
Have a nice day,