I came up with this one morning recently when I fancied my, usually, summer-staple of a homemade banana milkshake to accompany the rest of my breakfast. Considering it was a cold and miserable winter’s day, however, an equally cold milkshake didn’t seem appropriate. Still I wanted something banana-y so I came up with a hot banana drink made even warmer with the addition of spices. I made mine without coffee as with the exception of anything with cocoa I tend to avoid caffeine but adding a shot of espresso makes it really good, almost like one of the festive drinks available from top coffee chains but this is a really healthy and much cheaper alternative! So, if you love sweet, wintery, festive drinks, this drink will instantly make you happy!!
Disclaimer: Well, I can’t guarantee it, but I hope it does because as the famous quote from Annie goes, ‘You’re never fully dressed without a smile!’.
Winter warming banana latte
(Make with or without a shot of espresso depending on preference)
Serves 1 (just double/triple etc. for larger vols.)
- 1 mug of semi-skimmed milk (slightly less if adding coffee as that will add more volume!)
- 1 well-ripened banana
- 1/2-3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Optional: 1 shot espresso
- Heat up the milk and spices in a non-stick pan until it is hot but not boiling.
- Once the milk is nicely infused with the spices, pour the milk into a glass jug.
- Break the banana into chunks and add to the milk (if adding espresso, add this too.)
- Using a hand-blender blend until the banana is fully combined with the milk forming a gorgeously frothy-topped coffee shop-style warming drink!
- Serve in a mug or tall latte glass and sprinkle with cinnamon.
P.S Follow me here for updates, and on Twitter: @hldcblog and Instagram: @HCRinstacam Use the hashtag #hldcblog on a food post and I’ll check out your post!