Here’s a tasty bean chilli perfect for this time of year when nights are getting darker earlier and temperatures are lowering. I created this recipe back in June 2014 but now that it’s autumn it seems like now is a more apt time to post! It has around 4 of your five a day, 5 if you add the pepper, meaning it’s just bursting with vitamins and nutrients!
Bean Chilli Hotpot
- 6tbsp tinned red kidneybeans
6tbsp tinned black eye peas
- 6tbsp tinned sweetcorn
- 1 clove finely chopped garlic
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 1tsp chilli powder (less if you want it milder or more if you like it hot!)
- 1/4tsp paprika
- Pinch of sea salt
- Drizzle of agave syrup or honey
- 1 fresh red pepper chopped
1. Sauté the garlic in a drop of oil and then add the tinned tomatoes.
2. Season with the spices and add the remaining ingredients apart from the red pepper, if using.
3. Bring to the boil and then leave to simmer for 40-50 minutes or until it thickens. (Note: If you’re in a rush you can serve earlier but it will be a soup-like consistency, really good for a cold autumnal afternoon or a cosy winter evening by the fire!)
4. Add any final seasoning you wish – more chilli, cracked black pepper etc. Serve with either fresh crusty bread, brown rice rice, or in tacos.
P.S Remember I’m on Twitter @hldcblog and Instagram: @hcrinstacam